Sorting Stories

For Harry Potter-themed chatter. Books, films, plays, fan-works; it all goes here!
Messenger

Hufflepuff
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Sorting Stories

Postby Messenger » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Write how you were sorted! And while you're at it, feel free to write how various other characters got sorted. ;)

Here's mine:
As her name was called, Messenger walked over towards the chair. She'd noticed that some of the students before her had sat there for a while, yet others got sorted almost straight away. She wondered why that was, and how long it would take before she herself got sorted.
As the hat got placed on her head, she found herself thinking about how warm and furry it was. Then the hat surprised her by speaking in her head.
"Hmm... and interesting mix. Chivalrous and brave..." Messenger looked up sharply, and the hat seemed to chuckle at her astonishment. Then it continued. "Loyal and friendly, hardworking, with plenty of intelligence, a thirst for knowledge and a bit of cunning, resourcefulness and ambition thrown in. A difficult choice. Any preference on your part?" Messenger knew that that last question was directed at her. She looked around the tables, considering.
She knew many of her friends were absolutely terrified that they'd get sorted into Slytherin, but she didn't share their fear. Although it was indeed true that Slytherin had produced the most dark wizards, she sincerely doubted if every single Slytherin was that bad. She'd personally met at least one decent Slytherin on the train, and surely cunning, resourcefulness and ambition could be positive traits?
Ravenclaw... she'd heard Ravenclaw was a good house for anyone who particularly enjoyed learning, and she did, so she supposed that this house would suit her well. She'd meet plenty of Ravenclaws anyway - she was a great frequenter of libraries, and so, according to what she knew of the houses, were Ravenclaws.
Some people thought that Hufflepuff was the dullest house, fit only for those who didn't have the talent to get into a better house, but Messenger didn't agree. There were many notable wizards from this house too, and the students at that table seemed a nice bunch. She felt she'd enjoy being in their house.
Gryffindor was of course considered the most glamorous house to be in - so many famous wizards had come from it. She supposed she didn't mind this house any more than the others. However, despite what the hat had said, she doubted she had the bravery to get into this house, and she didn't consider her chivalry to be anything out of the ordinary. She just tried to be fair towards everybody, and couldn't imagine doing things differently.
"Oh, don't worry, you're brave enough for Gryffindor all right!" The hat chuckled again. "Nice to meet someone who isn't either desperate to get into, or desperately afraid of Slytherin, by the way. And you're right, Ravenclaw would suit you quite well. However, I think for you, the best choice would be- HUFFLEPUFF!" The Hufflepuffs cheered as she stood up.
Just before the Professor took the hat off, it muttered, "I look forward to seeing these halls decorated in black and yellow for once." Messenger looked back at the hat, and she could have sworn it winked at her.
Smiling, she took her place at the Hufflepuff table.

Your turn now! :)
Seeking the Slytherin 'Value: Cunning' card. Will trade duplicate card of equal value. :)
Also seeking to complete my Hufflepuff collection - will trade duplicate cards. :)

Dulcinea Wilkes

Slytherin

Re: Sorting Stories

Postby Dulcinea Wilkes » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Dulcinea Wilkes waited impatiently in line, waiting for her turn to be sorted. Cuz her name was near the end of the alphabet, that meant that she would have to wait quite a while. She looked around the Hall, at the other students seated at the forms, and at the empty plates waiting on the tables. Her stomach rumbled. She felt hungry, even tho she had had sweets and cakes off the trolley on the train, that had been hours ago. Eventually, Dulcinea's name was called, and she stepped up to sit on the stool and place the hat on her head. A voice spoke in her ear.

"We don't see this very often, seems that there's only one house that you'd be suited for. Cunning, ambitious, with a single minded goal to prove yourself... better be Slytherin!"

This last word was shouted to the Hall, and Dulcinea got up with a smirk, carelessly dropping the hat on the floor. She walked over to the Slytherin tables, where the other students were cheering their newest addition, and sat down on a form. Finally, she'd found where she belonged... and hadn't had an ounce of doubt about where the hat would choose to send her.

{Note: Every single Sorting Hat test I've taken puts me in Slytherin. XD}

BajanZealandian

Slytherin

Postby BajanZealandian » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:54 am

"BajanZealandian!"
Plastering on a cool, confident mask, the black-haired witch strode fake-confidently up to the rickety old stall. On said stall was a tattered and withered hat, ancient and worn. The peculiar thing was... this hat could talk. Being a muggleborn, she had been quite startled at first, but now she was perfectly used to the wizened words of the wise old hat. Sitting down on the stool, she let Professor Mcgonagall drop the hat on her head. The lengthy brim slid right past her dark brown eyes, and now all she could see was darkness. Then something spoke in her mind.

Curious little girl, aren't you, BajanZealandian? the deep voice resounded in her mind. Taking a few deep breaths to calm herself, she decided the best course of action would be to reply.
I'd like to think so, yes. She replied, careful to phrase her words smoothly. The hat chuckled.
I think you and I both know that you don't fit in with Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, correct? Bajan smirked.
Definitely. I mean, I'm hard-working and loyal, but I'm just too snarky and... well, mean for Hufflepuff. And Gryffindor? All hells of no.
She could practically see the hat smirking at her words.
Yes, there's the Ravenclaw thirst for knowledge. an obsession with learning and books... and what's this? You want to outshine someone? A sister? In Gryffindor?
Bajan gritted her teeth in annoyance at the mention of her sister. Being quite a few years older, everyone knew her as 'that girl's siste'. Well, no more.
Ah yes, and there's ambition. A Healer, miss Zealandian?
Bajan grinned mentally. Her greatest dream was to be a Healer, to help those in need. It was her way of assisting in the effort to eradicate wizarding society of conflict without directly immersing herself in the grips of war.
And yes, cunning, sly, intelligent... there is no doubt in my mind, miss Bajan Zealandian, that you do indeed belong in Slytherin!
Wearing a self-satisfied smirk on her face, Bajan carefully placed the hat back on it's perch. But before it totally left her head, it gave her one final farewell.
Stay strong, young Snake. Put faith in your roommates, your housemates, your classmates, your family, your friends, and most importantly, yourself. Be brave. Be loyal. Be intelligent. Be cunning. After all, just because you're a Slytherin doesn't mean you can't define yourself as multiple houses.
Giving the hat a swift thank-you, Bajan flashed a gleeful grin at her Gryffindor Head Girl sister, who gave her a respectful and prideful nod. Practically bouncing on her feet, she went over to the green-and-silver clad table and smiled at her neighbour.
"Hey! I'm Bajan, BajanZealandian. Who're you?"
Life is good.

I get overexcited in writing :D

RejectSoul

Slytherin

Postby RejectSoul » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:18 am

RejectSoul stared at the hat. It stared back. The professor behind the stool was drumming her fingers on her forearm, a sure sign of irritation. With her decision made (lose the battle, win the war) she sat down slowly on the stool. It didn't bite her, so far, so good. As the leather touched her hair (when had this ratty thing been washed last? Her mind not-so-helpfully suppied) she could feel the hat in her head, not just on it.

"Hmm, don't be so nervous. I don't bite." For a supposedly ancient relic, it sure didn't sound the part. "And it wouldn't hurt to set aside your doubts for now." Oh god, it snarked. She shivered slightly. She'd been imagining this for some time now, but this was just too surreal. Her elder siblings were Ravenclaws, the lot of them, taking after her mother. She wondered whether they were vague on purpose. Had to be.

"You have the wit and intelligence for Ravenclaw, but knowledge is not what you truly seek." No, it wasn't. Knowing was nice, but it would never be enough. Her dad had been in Gryffindor. "Yes, you may be daring, and more than courageous enough, but you will never reach your true potential." That left Hufflepuff. As if reading her mind (oh wait, it was) the hat responded. "Nope."

"SLYTHERIN!"

Stunned, she barely reacted as it left her head. Although in the haze of dread, disbelief and dad-will-kill-me-itis, she swore the hat added, "Good luck, young Snake. This is the best way forth."

Return to “The Burrow”