Cursed Child

For Harry Potter-themed chatter. Books, films, plays, fan-works; it all goes here!
Sapphire

Ravenclaw
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Cursed Child

Postby Sapphire » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 am

Hope you guys don't mind, but seeing as the Script Book came out yesterday I figured people might wanna talk about it. :)

Has anyone seen the play itself yet, or are you planning to? Have you got a copy of the book, if so, what do you think so far? Or have you decided not to read it?

(Please put any spoilers in a spoiler :))

I've finished the first part but haven't started the second yet, and blimey its dramatic! At first I was a bit skeptical about the plot, but I'm absolutely in love with it now! I find the characters compelling and I love the relationships between them. :)
ImageImageImage

Lindsay

HufflepuffPremium Member

Re: Cursed Child

Postby Lindsay » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:33 pm

I am very excited to receive my copy of the script book...should be within the next week! :) Then I will add all my thoughts to this topic as well lol.

EDIT: Just received my shipping confirmation...expected to arrive TOMORROW! :D :D :D

Rhynn

SlytherinAdministratorArtist

Postby Rhynn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:16 pm

I've just bought the ebook on Pottermore, so in a bit I'll start reading it :D
"Alas! Nine sickles and a Dungbomb. This is my lucky day!"
ImageImageImage
Card AlbumCard Shop
Want to support me? Image

Sapphire

Ravenclaw

Postby Sapphire » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:32 pm

I finished it...and...I'm not sure how to put it into words. I'm happy yet sad and a little overwhelmed and also I couldn't stop smiling towards the end, and honestly nearly shed a couple of tears, though whether they're happy or sad I'm still not sure. There's something about it that I just can't put my finger on, and I think it might be something to do with the fact this is a script, that the story is meant to be seen on stage rather than read.
ImageImageImage

Rhynn

Postby Rhynn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Read it in one go during the night; started around 1 am, finished 5 am.

It's... you know, I'm not sure if I like it or not. It honestly kind of felt like a fanfiction. Not bad by any means, but it just felt off, somehow.

Don't open the spoiler if you haven't read it/seen it! Or if you don't care about getting spoiled, of course.
Spoiler: show
I was also under the impression that time travel simply doesn't work that way, with changing the past... You can go back in time to make something happen, but you'll only succeed because at that previous point in time, your future self was there doing those things and making them happen. If it didn't happen, it won't happen by going back in time.
That's how I understood it from Prisoner of Azkaban, at least.

Draco felt incredibly out of character, and so did Snape... I fangirled like mad to see him like that, but it just doesn't feel right at the same time. Delphi was pretty much exactly what I'd expect from a fanfic writer's OC; overpowered never-before-even-hinted-at daughter of the Big Evil Dude. Also doesn't really make sense to me that Draco apparently didn't know of her existence, with her being Bellatrix's daughter and iirc born at Malfoy Manor.

I don't know. Maybe I just have to read it again, perhaps after reading the originals again as well. Maybe it really makes a difference to see it rather than read it. I honestly wonder just how much influence JKR had over the script.
ImageImageImage
Card AlbumCard Shop

Sapphire

Ravenclaw

Postby Sapphire » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:02 am

I completely get what you mean!

I kind of feel like this was JKR giving an explanation for all those people who would say "well why couldn't Harry just use a time-turner??" But although I see what you mean with Snape, I feel like that can be explained as it was an alternative universe. Draco on the other hand...I'm not too sure. Perhaps the changes could be explained by his love for his son (and I s'pose, wife as well.) I agree about Delphi, it just didn't feel right. In fact, I kind of feel like the whole thing was a bit rushed. I know that's probably because it's a play and the entire plot did have to be fit into a certain time period, but reading it, I think maybe as a book, the plot and characters just needed fleshing out a bit more.

Something that I was really disappointed by was Ron, however. In the original books, he was such a good character - strong, funny, a good friend etc. But the play seemed to only use him as comic relief. It was as if he had no purpose other than to eat and make the audience laugh. I felt that the Golden Trio was more like the Golden Quartet, with Ginny and Draco replacing Ron. They almost turned him into the Ron Weasley the films had portrayed, which didn't really do him justice.

However, I loved the characters of Scorpius and Albus. I think their relationship was great - it was funny and heartwarming and I liked how both of them were trying to work things out away from their fathers and the celebrity that came with being their sons. I kind of wish their friendship was featured more, like the earlier years, because they were skipped and I bet the two had some pretty fun escapades.

All in all, I did like it though - I didn't love it, but I bet I could if I saw it performed. Yes, some things could be improved, but the play overall still gripped me, and still made me feel all of the things I loved about the books.
ImageImageImage

Rhynn

Postby Rhynn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:50 am

Yes, it definitely felt like a rather long-winded explanation of time turner usage xD I do get that it's an alternate universe, but it's not enough to justify it, imho. Of course there are some differences, like with all the others, but... it was a bit too much. One measure of in-characterness for me is if I can imagine Alan Rickman as Snape play it - if not, it's pretty much out of character xD

Yes, Ron became so useless! One of the big things about his character was that he was always in someone's shadow, and his character progression really made him stand out in DH as his own person. Where has all of that gone?! Or is it some way of trying to compensate for Fred?

Scorpius and Albus are indeed great characters. Especially Scorpius, I love his humor xD I have to say I was expecting them to end up as a couple towards the end though, with all the hugging... I'm simultaneously relieved and disappointed that that didn't happen. Relieved because there's no need to force a relationship onto a very close friendship, disappointed because they go well together and it would have been nice to see a completely naturally portrayed gay relationship in a very popular media. The amount of fanfiction about this pairing is about to go through the roof though, I think xD

I really hope they end up filming the play and releasing it officially at some point. It would be fantastic to see the difference between reading the script and seeing it performed by professional actors.
ImageImageImage
Card AlbumCard Shop

georgexu94

Ravenclaw

Postby georgexu94 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:56 am

:lol: I know for certain that I am not reading this so I went ahead and read the spoilers here just to know what this is all about.
:ravenclaw:
Wand: 9 inch ivy, dragon heartstring core

Return to “The Burrow”