Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

For Harry Potter-themed chatter. Books, films, plays, fan-works; it all goes here!
Rhynn

SlytherinAdministratorArtist
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Postby Rhynn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Anyone excited about the movie? I know I am! Can't wait to see it... a while ago when I was at a cinema I was waiting in line for popcorn, and suddenly I hear familiar music... so I turned to the screen and saw the trailer. Which looked awesome :D

Also, it was announced today that there will be not one, not three, but five Fantastic Beasts movies! With J K Rowling herself as the screenwriter, we're in for a fun few years :D
"Alas! Nine sickles and a Dungbomb. This is my lucky day!"
ImageImageImage
Card AlbumCard Shop
Want to support me? Image

Elena

HufflepuffGlobal Moderator

Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Postby Elena » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:58 pm

Definitely! I had a similar experience but at home. The TV was on in the background but I froze when I heard the music :lol:

That's super exciting about five movies! I didn't know that but the more the merrier :D

Sapphire

Ravenclaw

Postby Sapphire » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:00 pm

I'll be honest I'm a little skeptical about these movies, mainly due to Cursed Child being a little disappointing, but that doesn't mean I'm not super excited! I can't wait to see them, especially because effects and cinematography has progressed quite a bit since the HP movies. But what I really love is the almost second wave of HP-mania, everywhere I turn I see Harry Potter merch and books and clothing and it's wonderful because even though I was a huge fan as a child, I was just too young when the books and films kicked off (I was born in '98) and I sort of missed it. So now I'm so happy to see it all again, from the beginning this time :)

(Also I want Newt's coat - srsly how beautiful is it? I've been looking for a similar one everywhere!)
ImageImageImage

Rhynn

Postby Rhynn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:06 pm

The big difference between Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts, is that JK has a much bigger hand in the Fantastic Beasts movies. She's the screenwriter; she pretty much decides the story. Cursed Child was written by others though, and she only had a very small role in the production. So I have faith in the movies :)
ImageImageImage
Card AlbumCard Shop

Sapphire

Ravenclaw

Postby Sapphire » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:33 am

So, I saw FBWTF a few weeks ago now...and I loved it! It was breathtaking and funny and scary and heartwarming and sad and a little cringy at times but also so freaking BEAUTIFUL. I mean...I loved this film!

However...I've waited a while to pull my thoughts together about it, because there were things I didn't like. By things, I mean thinG.

But, let's start with the positives -

Spoiler: show
Eddie Redmayne is a precious cinnamon roll who needs to be protected at all costs. He is just amazing! I honestly love him, I love Newt, I love the way his character was written as such a bumbling little person who is so shy around humans but also a little dark and secretive and certainly an exceptional wizard. I mean, the spell work on the case alone (and with respect to that, the CGI) was incredible! I loved the structure of Newt's world and how you could see how comfortable he was around animals and how powerful he is without really looking it. (I feel like the case is kinda a metaphor for Newt - he's very simple and quiet on the outside but is really this amazing character with lots of different facets and so much more to explore)
Also, Colin Farrell's portrayal of Graves was brilliant. I loved the way he played the character and just...I don't know I just think he was amazing, and I wasn't much of a fan of his before FB.

And don't get me started on the world! I didn't know how they could top the realism and beauty and incredible sets of Hogwarts...but I think they did. New York was a beautiful setting, and I think the era and the way it was woven into the story was brilliant. I wasn't sure about the whole MACUSA thing at first, but I found it very intriguing, and I hope more will be revealed about it in later films.

And I can't forget Jacob. He was the highlight of the movie. He was just GOLD. (Still a little upset about the whole Queenie thing but I have hope!) And the Niffler, and the Thunderbird! Aaah just all the creatures too!

But...

I really didn't like Johnny Depp. There, I said it! When I found out he'd been cast I was a little apprehensive but figured I couldn't judge til I'd seen the film, and now I have. And I really don't like him. I think so many other people could have done better, even though he is one of my favourite actors. (For example, on reflection I reckon Gary Oldman would have done a brilliant job, however he's Sirius and I accept its a long shot) But Colin Farrell was so good!! He was amazing! I kinda hope he comes back as maybe the real Graves (I don't know whether it's Polyjuice or enchantment or maybe there is no Graves, but it's likely the real one if there is one is dead). But I accept that also is unlikely.

Still, I genuinely can't wait for the next film. I just...its so lovely to return to the world (as if we never actually left it lol) and I honestly teared up when that WB logo turned up and Hedwig's theme and...yeah...I love it :)
ImageImageImage

Rhynn

Postby Rhynn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:20 am

Sapphire, I completely agree on your 'dislike' point there.

I'm a fan of Johnny Depp and generally like his stuff... but this was just... wrong somehow. Though I suspect it's mostly because of the looks. They made him look absolutely terrible! None of Depp's natural attractiveness was there. Sure he's getting older too, but come on people o_o
ImageImageImage
Card AlbumCard Shop

Return to “The Burrow”